Recipe by Aroostook
The oldtimers in Maine call their cast iron fry pans, "spiders". But thought naming this recipe "Spider Cornbread" might scare ya'! =0 =)
Top Review by Pastryismybiz
I rated this high for the simplicity of the recipe. Taste is delicous and they are moist and crumbly. I got to use the corn stick cast iron pan I've had forever and although the first batch some stuck, I let the second batch bake longer and they turned out of the pan fine.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- Melt shortening over medium heat in a 10 inch cast iron fry pan for 3 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add milk and egg.
- Mix well.
- Quickly stir in hot melted shortening to batter.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake in hot oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn out on clean tea towel and serve.