Recipe by Bev
This is the recipe I use for my cornbread Dressing recipe. I prepare it ahead of time and freeze the cornbread in wedges until ready to prepare the dressing. It is also good as is! Serve it with baked ham, yams and some green beans!
Top Review by xtine
This is the perfect cornbread! A lady who used to cook for my family made cornbread like this and I have been looking for her recipe forever! Thank you Bev!!! I made 2 skillets-full, one to eat tonight and one to make Bev's cornbread dressing with. The only warning I have is that this cooked REALLY fast in my oven at 475 degrees. I don't know if my oven is running hot or something, but I would check the bread at 15 minutes because it might already be done. Try this cornbread!
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg and beat till well blended, then add it to the dry ingredients and mix the bater till blended thoroughly.
- Place the shortening and bacon grease in a 9" iron skillet and heat till the shortening melts.
- Pour the hot fats into the batter, stir well, and pour the batter back into the skillet.
- Bake in the oven till the cornbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- To serve, turn the skillet upside down on a big plate, remove, and cut the cornbread into wedges.
- (To prepare for Cornbread dressing, cool, cut into wedges and freeze until ready to use in recipe. Defrost before continuing.).