Prep 6 mins
Cook 19 mins
From Time Life Family Favorites Made Easy recipe card.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- Preheat over to 425°F Coat 9-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, chili powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make well in center. Add buttermilk, oil, egg and corn. Whisk until combined. Stir together liquid and dry ingredients just until combined. Batter will be lumpy.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet for 2 minutes over medium heat until hot. Scrap batter into pan and spread level.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
DH made this to go with our dinner last night and I couldn't wait to come on to rate it. We LOVE this bread and we have made a LOT of differant cornbread recipes. The addition of the chili powder (which worried me when I saw the amount but turned out to be perfect) just threw this over the top. Realized after we started that I didn't have the corn kernels but it was still awesome. Dh is sending me to the store today to buy the corn so we can make this again, he's thinking of even adding some chopped jalapenos to it. Me, I wouldn't change a thing. So pleased that I can claim to be the first to find and rate this little gem.