Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe source: Saveur (April 2004)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Put shortening in cast iron skillet and heat in oven until skillet is hot and shortening is melted (6-8 minutes).
- While shortening is melting, in a large bowl beat egg and add baking soda and salt, beating well to combine. Stir in cornmeal and buttermilk.
- Remove hot skillet from oven. Pour half of the hot shortening into batter and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into skillet and place in oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and tests done when toothpick is inserted in center.
- Cut bread into 8 wedges and serve hot with butter.
Excellent, but try bacon grease instead of crisco. Really good.
good cornbread i used bacon grease instead of shortening dee