Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
2000 Recipe Hall of Fame, Southern Living.
- 2 -3 teaspoons bacon drippings or 2 -3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.
Awesome cornbread, and super easy. I soured skim milk for the buttermilk. I was worried that the batter was way too thin, but it worked perfectly.
Great crust, just what I was looking for, thanks!
Excellent cornbread, especially if you don't like sweet cornbread, which I don't. This was very easy to put together. Had the perfect crisp crust and moist and tender inside. I followed the recipe exactly as posted other than I used yellow cornmeal instead of white because that was what I had. Thanks LMillerRN for sharing a great recipe.