- 2 -3 teaspoons bacon drippings or 2 -3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.