Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Emeril Lagasse, 2001
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brown the chopped bacon in a 10inch cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute until softened using the bacon fat.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper and mix well. In another, smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cornbread is firm and golden brown on the top.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then cut into wedges and serve with hot butter on the side.