Recipe by Shar-on
This is a recipe Mom made usually at Christmas, adding a variety to her cookie tray. This is an unbaked cookies, that is cooked in a skillet and formed into a roll and cut into slices. Rice puffs is used in this recipe which is different from the other recipes posted here.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup dates, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups puffed rice cereal (not rice krispes)
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, opt (approx)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut, toasted and fine (approx)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy frypan, add dates, sugar, salt and unbeaten eggs.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly until mixture becomes quite thick and starts to cling to the spoon.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, then cool slightly.
- Add rice puffs and nuts, mixing well.
- Sprinkle waxed paper lightly with icing sugar or toasted coconut. Shape mixture into two rolls about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill.
- To serve, cut int 1/2 inch slices.
- Keep refrigerated.