Recipe by Shannon Phaeton
This is a great weeknight dinner. Great served with cornbread and rice and a nice salad. Most of the time I double the amount of sauce that is poured over the chicken because my husband likes extra sauce with his rice.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine flour, garlic powder and pepper.
- Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat; set the remaining flour mixture aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until browned on all sides; drain.
- Combine 1-1/4 cups water, soy sauce and oregano; pour over chicken.
- Add vegetables.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm.
- Combine reserved flour mixture and remaining water until smooth; add to the cooking juices.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with the chicken and vegatables.
- yield 6 servings.