Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this recipe is a Cracker Barrel "Old Fashion Country Cooking" Cookbook. It was well received by my family.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 frying chicken, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 lb small mushroom
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into pieces
- 1 lb small red potato, quartered
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Cook the chicken, a few pieces at a time, until browned. Remove from skillet once browned.
- In the drippings, cook the mushrooms, carrots, and celery over medium heat until browned. Add the potatoes, chicken broth, salt and thyme.
- Return chicken to the skillet and heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender.
- Skim the fat from the liquid in the skillet. In a cap combine the flour and water, stir into the skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Serve.
Very delicious! I added onion and used boneless chicken thighs, also instead of flour I used cornstarch. Definitely a keeper!
Oh this is pure comfort food! I used olive oil, boneless thighs, added an onion, poultry seasoning and savory. Yum!
This was fantastic! I made as directed, but increased the thyme to about 1/2 teaspoon. I let everyone add the amount of Kosher salt they wanted at the table. I will be making this one again. Made for ADOPT A TAG, from the game FOOTBALL POOL