Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this recipe because it's SO delicious and super easy to make. My family loves it, too! Great served with caesar salad and garlic bread. I usually have half of the sauce left over. I either freeze it, or cook up extra chicken for leftovers, but the chicken does lose some of its crispiness on the second day. NOTE: One of my favorite things about this recipe is the crispiness of the chicken. I usually use twice the oil that the recipe calls for, maybe even more. I just keep an eye on it, and add more as needed.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1⁄4 oregano (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄3 cup italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Saute onions and garlic in 2 tbsp of oil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar, and seasonings.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer while preparing chicken.
- Combine parmesan and bread crumbs. In a seperate bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Slice chicken breast in half to create two thinner pieces of chicken or use rolling pin to flatten the breast to approximately 1/4" thickness.
- Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- Heat remaining oil. Cook chicken over medium heat in the oil, turning once. (approx. 10-15 mins).
- Sprinkle cooked chicken with mozzarella cheese and allow it to melt. Speed the melting up by covering skillet with a lid.
- Remove chicken to plate and spoon desired amount of sauce over top.
Great recipe! Full of flavor and easy to put together. I used turkey tenderloins instead of chicken breast and kept everything else the same. Thank you for a great recipe.
Loved this recipe. The sauce was really good and was fresh tasting.
I sauteed the chicken first, and then put them aside. I then made the sauce in the same pan, then added the chicken and melted the cheese under the broiler on low.
Thanks for sharing MtnMel