Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
One skillet, rotisserie chicken from the grocery, and an easy crust. Delicious school-night food.
Make and share this Skillet Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cooked whole chickens (a rotisserie chicken from the grocery)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- eight 1-inch thick slices of bakery white country bread, crusts removed (about 1 lb.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large ovenproof, non-stick skillet, melt 2 tbsp of the butter. Add the onions, mushrooms and carrots and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring once, until vegetables are just softened, about 1 minute.
- Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and paprika and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and Madeira and cook, stirring, until blended. Add the milk and bring to a gentle boil. Stir in the chicken and peas and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the bread over the chicken mixture, trimming it to fir snugly in a single layer. Brush the bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the bread is golden. Serve immediately.