Recipe by Lainey39
I love finding different ways to make cabbage. This would be a good way to use up leftover ham. Recipe is from Family Circle.
Top Review by TexasKelly
We thought this was pretty good. I didn't have any white wine, so I used beer, and I also didn't realize I didn't have any cider vinegar, so had to use white wine vinegar. The only other thing I changed was to add a tad bit of butter and I also fried up a tiny bit of bacon and put some of the drippings into the cabbage. This added a little more flavor. This was a great use for leftover ham, and I couldn't beleive even my 1 year old ate both the cabbage mixture & the ham!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 of large head green cabbage)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 10 ounces ham steaks, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cabbage and carrot and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in wine and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add ham, apple, vinegar, caraway, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring, until cabbage and apples are tender and most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Cover and let stand a few minutes before serving.