Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Makes a very good busy day dinner. Serve with your favorite coleslaw and a side of cornbread. You can add more brown sugar if you like it a little more sweet.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans (drained)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) packagejumbo hot dogs, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- In a medium size skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add bacon and onion; cook until lightly browned.
- Add hot dogs; cook until most are lightly browned.
- Add rest of ingredients, mixing well.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 or until slightly thickened.
The first time I made this for DH after we were married, he gave me a funny look, but once we chowed down on this childhood fav...he understood. I use essentially the same recipe, but leave out the bacon (I already feel bad enough about the sugar and fat!) sooooo good! Thanks for posting!
Made this for the weekend of March 17 2009 along with recipe#56662 - and yes as suggested they were kid pleasers - a treat for the adults as well. Made as posted using some really good flavored smokies. Likely will not add the sugar next time around but this is one I am looking to make for those summer weekends. Thank you for sharing. Edited to add: this recipe saw to a repeat and again no leftovers. Used a tablespoon of sugar the second time around - perfect for our tastes!
This was very good! I had to improvise on the beans with home canned ones, but it still turned out very yummy! Very filling too.