Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this on the mmmcafe blogger site and decided to post the recipe so I can make it for dinner this week. It sounds insanely easy and all of the ingredients sound like they won't cause any battles with my picky eater. I've increased the amounts to serve 6 (original served 4) and changed a few things already. I will update on technique and ingredient changes that I do once I make it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1⁄2 red onion, pureed (I will use finely minced onions)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- 3⁄4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fat free Greek yogurt (the original recipe calls for sour cream)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded medium cheddar
- In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat (you could also use a large pot if you don't have a skillet this big).
- When hot, add the chicken and onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and onions to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the water, chicken broth, penne and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid is almost absorbed, the pasta is tender and the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Stir in the barbecue sauce and sour cream.
- Once mixed, add in chicken, onions and shredded cheese.
- Stir to combine and cook until everything is heated through.