Recipe by eileenls_99
I saw this recipe in a Canadian Living magazine many years ago and I cooked it that night for my friends. It was easy and they loved it so much I had to give them the recipe. You will find that using shoulder or butt chops will be economical and delicious. I haven't tried it with chicken but I'm sure I will like it.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces or 4 pork chops
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (I used V-8 juice) or 1⁄2 cup juice (I used V-8 juice)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frypan, heat 2 tbs. oil over medium-high heat and brown chicken or chops on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining 2 tbs. oil; add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain excess fat from frypan and pour barbecue sauce over meat. Cover and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover during last few minutes to thicken sauce if desired.