Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
America's Test Kitchen
Top Review by Kris P.
I love this recipe. It is, by far, my all-time favorite comfort food in fall/winter (or anytime, for that matter!). It's super easy and is restaurant quality food.<br/><br/>I have never made any modifications to this recipe - I've never needed to.<br/><br/>Woohoo!
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces ziti pasta (3 3/4 c.)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 c.)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; preheat oven to 475°.
- Pulse tomatoes in food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain, about 12 pulses.
- Cook sausage in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet over med-high heat, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in processed tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Decrease heat to med-low and simmer gently until tomatoes no longer taste raw, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in water and pasta.
- Cover and increase heat to med-high, and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Stir in cream, Parmesan, and basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over top.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese is melted and browned, 10-15 minutes; serve.