America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen breaded boneless chicken breast
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano (or 1/4 t. dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces penne (3 3/4 c.)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1Bake chicken according to package instructions.
- 2Let chicken cool slightly, then slice into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- 3Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475°.
- 4Meanwhile, pulse tomatoes in food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain, about 12 pulses.
- 5Cook oil, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet over med-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 6Stir in processed tomatoes, water, 1 cup broth, and pasta.
- 7Cover and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, 15-18 minutes.
- 8Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth and Parmesan.
- 9Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Scatter sliced chicken evenly over top and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- 11Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and chicken is crisp, 5-10 minutes.
- 12Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet-Baked Chicken Parmesan and Penne
Serving Size: 1 (661 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.3
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 510.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 45.7 g