Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 lb frozen breaded boneless chicken breast
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole peeled fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano (or 1/4 t. dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces penne (3 3/4 c.)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bake chicken according to package instructions.
- Let chicken cool slightly, then slice into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475°.
- Meanwhile, pulse tomatoes in food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain, about 12 pulses.
- Cook oil, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet over med-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in processed tomatoes, water, 1 cup broth, and pasta.
- Cover and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth and Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Scatter sliced chicken evenly over top and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and chicken is crisp, 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.