Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Canned pork and beans (called "baked beans" in the South no matter if they are straight from a can or actually baked) are loaded with all kinds of chemicals. Here is a healthier version using canned white beans. This makes great beanie-weanies using a decent hot dog like Hebrew National All Beef. They freeze well too for stashing away quick lunches! I created this recipe after my kids begged for baked beans in the middle of the summer. I couldn't bear to heat up the living area with the oven so this recipe was born!
- 3 (15 ounce) cansprepared white beans
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar or 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices bacon (cut into bite-sized pieces, if desired)
- 1 onion, cut into fourths
- Place all ingredients in a skillet and mix well.
- Simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Remove bacon and onion before serving if desired.