Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I know, I know...another "Chicken and Rice" recipe. But this is so easy to make and tastes delicious, that I had to post it. Enjoy!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 strip fresh lemon peel (about 3 inch-x-1/2 inch)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive, drained and chopped (you can find them already chopped in the jar, they are called salad olives)
- 1⁄2 cup loosely-packed fresh cilantro or 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- lemon wedge
- In a non-stick, 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add onions and red peppers and cook until tender, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice, garlic, and ground red pepper; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon peel, salt, chicken broth and sherry; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 13 minutes.
- Stir in chicken tenders; cover and simmer 13 minutes longer or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with the tip of a knife and rice is tender, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
- Stir in frozen peas, cover and heat through.
- Remove skillet from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- To serve, stir in the olives and sprinkle with cilantro. Pass lemon wedges to squeeze over each serving.