Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Not sure why they call this "Skier's Stew" but I found it online -- looks simple and comforting. I think it would be really easy to add extra veggies to this and tweak with extra seasoning to ones personal tastes.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in . cubes
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 in. slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-in . cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots and beef.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, water and soup mix; pour over meat. Cover and cook on High for 5-6 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender.
Good stew. I halved the recipe for 2 of us and used my new small crockpot which worked out really well. We enjoyed the onion soup flavor in this too. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT9.
My husband loved this! IMO, it needed more seasoning. I didn't have lipton onion soup so I used Dry Onion Soup Mix Substitute. The meat was very tender after cooking on high for 3 hours and low for 2 hours; I will add more beef next time. There was minimal sauce but this could be because of the veggies soaking up the liquid; I will double the sauce. I will add galric next time. Made for ZWT9 for the Gourmet Goddesses July 2013.
Made for the Goddesses of ZWT-9 on the last dy in Scandinavia because I wanted comfort food & the ease of my crockpot to get it. The ingredients are classic for stew, but the onion soup mix was new for me & I enjoyed how it flavored the stew. Your intro allowed for it, so I added halved fresh mushrooms I had on-hand & opted to use 1 cup vs 1/2 cup water. When cooking was done, I removed the solids from the crockpot, collected the lovely juices, used a saucepan + cornstarch to thicken them & took pics. The pics made the stew look deconstructed, so I reconstructed it & took more pics. DH was confused & impatient, but pleased w/the outcome. Thx for sharing your recipe w/us.