Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a comfort food that's very easy to throw together! Originally from a Southern Living magazine.
Top Review by Mrs K
Excellent. I've been making this soup for years. A friend found it in Southern Living and passed it on. Making some this evening as it's a bit chilly here. It's so easy to put together. It also freezes well.
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage and drain well.
- Combine all ingredients in a 4 quart saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook another 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Beat soup with an electric mixer until all ingredients are well shredded, about 3 minutes.