Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A comfort food casserole.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked
- 4 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken meat
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced and cooked
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan, over medium heat, and whisk in flour; stirring constantly, cook 1 minute.
- Add stock, sour cream, and wine.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the noodles in a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Layer the chicken, mushrooms and then sauce to cover.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and mix with the bread crumbs.
- Top the casserole with the buttered crumbs and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
Love the casserole! We didn't eat it after skiing, just after a long day of work on a very cold winter day! Delicious, warm & comforting! I followed the recipe as written, just was a little heavy-handed on the spices, cheese and butter! Ooops! Fantastic!
This was pretty good, but didn't turn out just right. Maybe I did something wrong. There were a TON of noodles and not much sauce, so it was rather dry. I followed the recipe exactly. I also thought that it needed more bread crumbs, and I couldn't taste the nutmeg at all. Maybe I'll try it again with a few adjustments.
I made this for my family. Had a wonderful rich and creamy sauce. Very filling and hearty casserole. Lots of noodles and cheese. A great thing to feed the family after they have been out sleding . Thanks.