This is a Arabic-style recipe adapted by the South African Dutch.
Make and share this Skewered Pork, Fruit and Vegetable recipe from Food.com.
- 680.38 g pork loin, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium green peppers, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium pineapple, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 85.04 g onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml white vinegar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml curry powder
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 354.88 ml rice, cooked
- 3 large skewers
- Place pork, peppers, tomatoes, pineapple and onions in large mixing bowls.
- Add water, vinegar, salt, curry, turmeric, paprika and pepper.
- Mix well and marinate for 4 hours.
- Divide first 4 ingredients into 3 equal portions and thread alternately on skewers.
- Broil on a rack 4 inches fro heat, 12 to 15 minutes, turning frequently until meat is cooked.
- Pour marinade in a saucepan; add tomato puree and cook until thick.
- Place each skewer on 1/2 cup rice, divide sauce into 3 equal portions and serve over meat and rice.
- NOTE: Cooking time does not include marinading time.
I did these skewers on the grill instead of the broiler. The flavor is very mild, I was actually expecting more, but still very tasty. The ingredients doesn't include tomato puree but its in the instructions for the sauce, so I added a tablespoon, wasn't sure how much it should have been. I actually liked the pork without the extra sauce, so maybe I used the wrong amount of tomato puree. I loved the pineapple here and it certainly made a pretty plate! Made for ZWT - 7.