Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I doubt I will be able to make this recipe any time soon as I have never seen mussels for sale here, but I will be watching for them! From the *Best Seafood Recipes* cookbook of the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook series, this easy-fix recipe is for your grilling pleasure & the pic looked amazing! (Time does not include time for skewers to soak or marinate in refrigerator & cooking time has been *guesstimated* , so use your best judgment) *Enjoy*
For the Glaze
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (or bottled chili sauce for extra tang)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
For the Skewers
- 1 kg mussels (2.2 lbs, should be a rough 48 ct)
- 16 slices bacon
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 min prior to assembling skewers. Skip this step if using metal skewers.
- For the Glaze: Combine all ingredients, mix well & set aside.
- For the Skewers: Cook mussels in lrg saucepan of water, remove from shells & set aside.
- Cut ea bacon slice into 3 equal pieces, wrap ea mussel in a cut bacon piece & thread onto skewers.
- Using a pastry brush, brush all exposed surfaces of the bacon-wrapped mussels w/the glaze mix & turn skewers as needed to get full coverage.
- Place skewers in a dish lrg enough to hold them in a single layer & refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Grill skewers till bacon is crisp & mussels tender. Brush occ w/remaining glaze during cooking.
- NOTE: The pic showed the yield as 8 skewers w/6 bacon-wrapped mussels on ea skewer, so serve 1 skewer as an appy or 2 skewers as a main course.