Recipe by luvinlif2k
Otherwise known as "Kafta", this recipe comes from Iraq. Though the recipe calls for ground beef or lamb you can also substitute ground turkey. From "Extending the Table".
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 onion (finely minced or grated)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Wet hands in water and mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Dampen hands and pat mixture around 6 skewers into long, flattened patties about 1 1/2 inches wide and 4-5 inches long.
- Grill or broil in oven until browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread or rice.
- SUGGESTION: While meat mixture sets in the refrigerator marinate large chunks of tomatoes, onions, green peppers, or eggplant in a sauce made of equal parts of olive oil and lemon juice with a dash of salt and pepper. thread vegetables on skewers and grill them alongside the meat.