Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Otherwise known as "Kafta", this recipe comes from Iraq. Though the recipe calls for ground beef or lamb you can also substitute ground turkey. From "Extending the Table".
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 onion (finely minced or grated)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wet hands in water and mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Dampen hands and pat mixture around 6 skewers into long, flattened patties about 1 1/2 inches wide and 4-5 inches long.
- Grill or broil in oven until browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread or rice.
- SUGGESTION: While meat mixture sets in the refrigerator marinate large chunks of tomatoes, onions, green peppers, or eggplant in a sauce made of equal parts of olive oil and lemon juice with a dash of salt and pepper. thread vegetables on skewers and grill them alongside the meat.
This tastes just like what I had when I was a nanny for an Iraqi family. Thank you! I really enjoyed this, DH thought it tasted like Meatloaf. Thanks!