Recipe by C & D's Mommy
A different take on the plain old hamburger. You know, piece of meat, bun....BORING! Try these the next time you have friends over for a BBQ. I've made it with ground chicken too.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (if you prefer, you can use whole wheat bread crumbs instead, this will give it a finer texture)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 teaspoon dry granulated garlic)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 small pita bread, cut in half (don't use the mini pitas!)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped finely (or you can also use the dried stuff, same amount)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 8 wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, oats, egg, onion, water , garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Divide into 8 equal portions and mould each of the balls into an oval shape around the skewers.
- Grill for about 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, turning only once!
- Serve the burger with the pita. You can put it on a bed of lettuce first if you want a little something extra.
- Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise and chives. Serve a dollop with the pitas.
- Goes great served with a lettuce and tomato salad.