Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
For something special, try these steak skewers seasoned with Chinese spices.
- 4 (4 1/2 ounce) lean beef steak fillets
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1 green cabbage
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cut steaks into thin strips. In a bowl combine the soy sauce, Chinese five spice, garlic, honey and seasoning. Add the beef, cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove 18 large outer leaves from the cabbage. In a pan of boiling water, blanch these leaves for 1-2 minutes, then drain and plunge into a bowl of cold water.
- Thread a strip of beef onto a long metal or wooden skewer. Fold a blanched cabbage leaf into three and tuck a water chestnut in the cavity. Push the skewer through the cabbage and water chestnut parcel. Alternate with more beef and cabbage parcels. Repeat to make 6 skewers.
- Cook over a prepared barbecue or under a preheated broiler for 10 minutes, turning once and basting with any remaining marinade.
- Scatter with sesame seeds and serve with rice noodles.