Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great way to use leftover dough; an easy appetizer, or perfect anytime snack!
- 1 fresh pizza dough (, I use s'kat's Easy Pizza Dough, storebought okay)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons fresh tomato sauce (, I use Andrea's)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces sliced buffalo mozzarella, well drained
- 12 slices pepperoni
- 5 leaves fresh basil, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place pepperonis on tinfoil in oven and bake for about 5 minutes, or until grease begins to come up.
- Remove, drain, and pat dry.
- Roll out dough into a rectangular shape.
- Brush gently with egg.
- Layer fresh tomato sauce, garlic, mozzarella, pepperoni, and basil onto dough.
- Roll dough jelly-roll style, place onto baking stone and bake 35-40 minutes.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- Variations: Saute onions or scallions on stove top and add to filling.
- Additionally, add mushrooms, pepperoncinis, tomatoes, or kalamata olives.
Really tasty and your idea to defat the pepperoni was spot on! Great Recipe!
We always use this method for defatting the pepperoni before we put it on our regular pizza now. Thanks for posting this! I have also made this several times using my regular pizza toppings, and it turns out delicious every time.
Really good! I've had this in my cookbook forever, but never gotten around to making it until now. Terrific variation on regular pizza or calzones. Makes for a great presentation- I would imagine this would be a big hit with kids, too, but its still a bit more sophisticated than pizza, I think. We made ours with pepperoni, chopped salami (didn't have much pepperoni) and sliced crimini mushrooms. Very tasty. I used my favorite pizza dough- s'kat's Easy Pizza Dough (#16331) ;-) It was great. We had it for dinner with some extra sauce poured over top (I was afraid making the loaf itself quite saucy would also make it leaky...) and a green salad. Very good. I have one qualm with the recipe, though: "1/4 package" mozzarella is not a good measure. Very easy (once you know how to make pizza dough), very tasty and just plain fun. I admit, though, I made this on a Friday, not a Monday... luckily it was still great. Thanks for posting.