Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
A chewy, cornmeal-flavored pizza crust! Prep time includes rising time.
- 1 package yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water, and let proof until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour, salt, cornmeal and olive oil.
- Mix well.
- Gradually add remaining flour and mix until dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and place in warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove dough and punch down.
- Mix the olive oil, parmesan, garlic and fresh herbs.
- Using hands, work thoroughly into dough.
- Re-oil bowl, cover and let rise again until doubled.
- Remove dough, shape into crust, add desired toppings, and bake in a preheated 500-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350-degrees and bake 15-20 minutes longer, until crust is evenly browned.
- Note: this tends to make a thick-crusted pizza.
Excellent crust! Don't let the time put you off - this is really easy. This makes a very thick crusted pizza and could potentially be used to make 2 medium sized pizzas depending on how big a pizza your oven can take.
Just when I thought s'kat's Easy Pizza Dough (#16331) was my favorite, I come across this! This dough was a dream come true- delightfully flavorful, wonderful texture and perfectly chewy. I made two smaller pizzas and topped one with proscuitto, bleu cheese, olive oil and caramelized onions...sooooo GOOD! The other one is in the freezer, waiting to be topped and devoured! I did have to substitute dry herbs for the fresh (I used 1/3 as much as called for), which still worked great.
This was wonderful! We made it with skat's Basic Tomato Sauce(#57352), pepperoni, ground beef, onions and mushrooms sauteed in butter, and mozzarella cheese. My husband loved it, and he is not a big pizza fan. We both said that it reminded us of Pizza Hut deep dish crust (Which hubby adores). We had leftovers for lunch today (it made a BIG pizza) and it is even better warmed up. Thanks!