Recipe by Member #610488
Specialty of the Restaurante Drei Husaren in Vienna, Austria. Recipe from a clipping in my grandmother's recipe box.
Top Review by Koechin (Chef)
Ingredients are great, but cooking time for shrimp is way too long. They are done after the first 5-8 min. depending on size. To soak'cool them down in water removes much flavor. This is such a fast cooking process, that they need no chilling. Again to cook them in the butter mixture requires only a few minutes and not 15. and then another 5 minutes at the end. They become rubber. Sorry, but your directions would ruin good and expensive shrimp. We live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and make shrimp many different ways, allways cooked very fast.
I made yoiur recipe with my timing and it was VERY GOOD! So the merit is there!
- 2 lbs frozen shrimp (already deveined)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse shrimp under water, getting rid of surface ice crystals. Drain shrimp.
- Boil 1 qt water, lemon juice, salt and bay leaf. Once at a rolling boil, add drained shrimp. Cover tightly and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until shrimp are pink and tender.
- Drain shrimp and cover with cold water to chill. Drain shrimp again. Drain on paper towel to remove all moisture. Chill until ready to use.
- Heat a skillet and add 1/4 cup butter. When melted add shrimp and green onions. Cook over medium heat about 3 minute.
- Remove from heat and blend in white wine, tomato paste, sugar, salt, soy sauce, cayenne pepper and sweet paprika. Return to heat and simmer 15 minute Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp butter until melted. Add the flour and make a roux by browning the flour a little, stirring constantly. Add 3 tbsp of the shrimp sauce to the roux and stir vigorously. Immediately blend roux into the shrimp sauce and bring to boiling. Cook at boiling 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the shrimp and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve hot.