Bulgarian Slivatree's Note:
Skalitsa Banitsa Recipe - Now world recognition This is probably the most famous Bulgarian recipe bar shopska salad and with the pastry now bought in a ready to use form from shops is very simple to make. This particular recipe was given to me by my Bulgarian neighbour Rosa who is also local nursery schoolteacher. It is as far as I'm aware only local to my village Skalitsa which has in my totally unbiased opinion gives better results than the original National recipe. Hence the name 'Skalitsa' Banitsa
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1- Turn the oven on to a temperature of 170°C.
- 2- Put the eggs, flour, baking powder and yoghurt in a bowl and mix well together and put to one side.
- 3- Unwrap the pastry and lay all the sheets on the plastic wrapping on the work surface.
- 4- Lightly grease a baking tray big enough to take the width of the pastry when rolled up.
- 5- Trickle oil over the whole area of top layer of the pastry and then dribble the mixture randomly over the pastry.
- 6- Sprinkle sirene evenly over the oil based pastry.
- 7- Roll two layers along the length of the pastry and place it on the baking tray - Make sure you roll the pastry very loosely.
- 8- Repeat the same process until all the sheets of pastry have been used.
- 9- If there is any mixture left over brush the top of the parcel rolls in the tray, if there is none left brush some oil over the tops of the skalitsa banitsas.
- 10- Place the tray in the now hot oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- 11Recipe originally published in http://www.ourbulgarianworld.com.
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skalitsa Banitsa
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 66.6 mg
- Sodium 310.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: