1 hr 30 mins
Chef #1802801687's Note:
Now summer is just round the corner, these orange and honey glazed sweet potato and chicken skewers are easy to rustle up and brighten any BBQ. Also delicious when cooked on a griddle pan, they’ll save the day when rain clouds start to gather. This dish created by celebrity chef and sweet potato lover Felice Tocchini is wonderfully versatile, as the chicken can be replaced with aubergines or mushrooms for vegetarian guests. The skewers can be part of a sweet potato feast when adding a handful of sweet potato chips as a crunchy side and a refreshing sweet potato, beetroot and fennel salad. Available all year round, sweet potatoes are just as tasty in the summer and are low in fat, high in fibre, and full of anti-oxidants, vitamin A, C and beta-carotene. The recipe uses two large sweet potatoes, which count towards one of the 5-a-day. The Love Sweet Potatoes campaign is designed to tell consumers about sweet potatoes and the different ways they can be used in everyday meals. The North Carolina farming family at Scott Farms is behind the campaign and has been growing sweet potatoes for over four generations. They are now the largest importer of sweet potatoes into the UK. For more information please visit http://www.lovesweetpotatoes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 . 5cm cubes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 . 5cm cubes
- fresh bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 skewers
- 1 -2 chili pepper, depending on how spicy you like your food (or more)
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 spring onions
- fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- cracked black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 raw beetroot
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 orange
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 fresh mint
- 5 -8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- sea salt (optional)
- cracked black pepper
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 2Cut the chillies, spring onions, thyme and ginger into thin strips and place into a large bowl.
- 3Add the honey, orange juice and black pepper and mix well.
- 4Add the chicken and gently mix together, marinating the chicken well. Cover and place in the fridge for at least one hour.
- 5Cook the cubed sweet potatoes in boiling water for 4 minutes, drain and set aside.
- 6Cook the chicken on a griddle pan or on a BBQ until juices run clear, turning frequently. Drain and reserve the marinade when cooked.
- 7Build the skewers, alternating between chicken, sweet potato and bay leaves.
- 8Pour the reserve marinade in a pan with honey or sugar, bring to the boil and turn the heat down to reduce the marinade to thick syrup.
- 9Coat the chicken with the marinade and serve with a sweet potato salad on the side.
- 10To prepare the salad , peel and slice the beetroot and then place in a bowl of cold water.
- 11Peel the sweet potato into strips, and place in a large bowl with sliced fennel and orange segments. Drain and dry the beetroot and combine together.
- 12Add the mint and parsley together with the seasoning and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sizzling Sweet Potato Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.4
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 50.3 mg
- Sodium 167.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: