Recipe by Girl from India
Try this you won't be disappointed. From my favourite cookbook author - Madhur Jaffrey.
Top Review by ilovesweets00
I just made this for my husband, who is Vietnamese. While I was combining everything for the marinade, he came to the kitchen wondering what that good smell was. We really enjoyed this dish, and it was VERY easy to make. I think the only thing missing would be a little bit of fish sauce, but if you're not into that then you've got nothing to worry about.
- 675 g tenderloin or 675 g steak fillets, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper, coarsely crushed (I use 1 1/2 tsp)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and crushed
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, chopped (6 inches of) or 1 tablespoon dried lemon grass, soaked in warm water for an hour and drained or 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the meat,salt, sugar, garlic, ginger, lemon grass/ lemon rind, black pepper in a bowl.
- Rub the spices into the meat.
- Marinate for 1 hour atleast.
- Heat 2 tblsp oil in a cast iron pan till very hot (on high).
- Add the onion and saute briefly till slightly brown but limp (for abt a min) Remove and sprinkle a little salt on them (I omit this as I do not like too much salt and DH then adds some to his plate) Heat pan again with the remaining oil in it.
- Again when very hot put in the meat cubes in a single layer and cook on both sides (if you like it well cooked reduce heat to cook some more as the meat should not burn) Serve with the onions on top.