1/1 Photo of Sizzling Pork Tacos
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
These are easy to do at home and oh-so-much-better than you-know-who's tacos. Tacos are meant to be a snack and as such, they are not supposed to be overstuffed with fillings and garnishes. If you have access to a Latino market, you should be able to find different types of ground chili powder. Any medium-hot chili powder will do, of course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder, cut in thin 1/2-inch strips
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons guajillo chili powder (or ancho or other medium-hot red chile powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (for best flavor toast whole seeds and grind up coarsely)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 dozen corn tortillas, ideally 4 1/2-inches for serving
- tomatillo salsa, for serving (Tomatillo Salsa Fresca)
- salsa, cruda for serving (Salsa Cruda III)
- radish, trimmed and sliced for serving
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- 1Generously season pork with salt and pepper; add garlic, chile powder and cumin and mix well massaging spices into the meat.
- 2Marinate at least an hour, or up to overnight, refrigerated.
- 3Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat; once oil begins to shimmer, add meat and let sizzle, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4Turn off heat and keep meat warm.
- 5Heat tortillas on a dry griddle or another cast iron pan, turning them once or twice, until they are hot and slightly puffed; stack them on a clean cloth napkin and cover with another napkin so that they steam.
- 6To serve: Stack 2 hot tortillas on a plate and spoon on a little pork, top with a spoonful of tomatillo salsa and another of the salsa cruda; garnish with radishes and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sizzling Pork Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.7
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.5 mg
- Sodium 136.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 25.2 g