Recipe by Debber
Hands-down--this is a WINNER in the "keep the heat out of the kitchen" category of summer cooking at our house! This is a slightly different spin on ordinary roasted/baked potatoes and steak on the grill. And so simple, too! Timing is important, so make sure the table is set, and the family is ready to sit down--cuz when those steaks come off the grill, you wanna sit right down and eat!
Top Review by kellychris
I made the scallion butter for our baked potatoes that we grilled last night.SO VERY GOOD!! I used a fresh scallion and fresh parsley from my herb garden.SUPERB!! If you can, fresh parsley is the best in this!! We have some left over that I plan on trying on some toasted french bread. THANKS SO MUCH for this recipe!! ( I took a pic but I can't get my camera to download it right now-)
The Main Attraction
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 beef steaks (we used sirloin cut into portions)
- olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion (chopped onions work too)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the grill--you want it HOT.
- Cut 4 squares of heavy-duty foil, set aside.
- Scrub the spuds, pour a bit of olive oil on your hands, and rub on potatoes; set each potato on a foil square; fold foil around the potato snugly.
- Potatoes should be roasted over indirect heat (we put ours on the top rack) until they "give" when squeezed (20-25 minutes).
- Prepare the Cheddar-Scallion Butter: Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl OR in a food processor, until well blended; set aside to serve at ROOM temperature.
- When potatoes are nearly ready, smear steaks with olive oil; make sure the grill is HOT; pop the steaks on; depending on how "done" you like 'em -- we prefer medium-rare (so that's about 4 minutes per side).
- When the meat is done, remove to a platter; put the potatoes in a serving bowl.
- Serve each steak and potato with a dollop of Cheddar-Scallion Butter; sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- That's what summer is all about!
- VARIATIONS --
- Fresh parsley in the butter.
- Finely minced green or red pepper.
- Monterey Jack OR Bleu cheese instead of the Cheddar.
- Two or three slices of crumbled bacon! Oh, yeah -- .