Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this on the Eating Well website amonst their diabetic friendly recipes. I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds like a real winner.
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into ribbons
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts (see Tip)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil, and simmer until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook, stirring, until crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe out the pan; heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the beans, garlic, sage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pine nuts, lemon zest and the prosciutto. Season with lemon juice, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Great beans!! I LOVE pine nuts so these were perfect. Made exactly as written and would not change a thing. They had a lot of flavor and were not too salty with the addition of the salt and prosciutto. Will be making these again! Made for PRMR.
WOW! This is awesome! I love green beans, and as I stated in another review of the Realtor's,I always have them on hand. I had some prosciutto in the freezer, so I made this last night. Hubby wouldn't touch a veggie with a ten-foot pole, but who cares? That just means more for me. I wouldn't have shared anyway! lol Great job here! Great recipe! Made for "Go for the Green" event at KK's forum.
Delicious! I used only half the garlic to keep peace in the family. Made for the Farmer's Market tag game.