Recipe Courtesy Bobby Flay - Grill It! - Clarkson Potter 2008
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
GREEN ONION SLAW
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green onion, white and green parts
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 serrano chilies
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small head purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground pasilla chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon arbol chile
- kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1/4 cup canola oil
BLACK PEPPER VINEGAR SAUCE
- 1To make the dressing for the slaw, combine the green onions, vinegar, honey, chiles, mayonnaise, oil, salt and pepper to taste in a blender and blend until emulsified.
- 2Combine the cabbage, red onion and poppy seeds in a bowl, add the dressing, and stir until combined. Fold in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate while you grill the chicken or for up to 1 hour.
- 3Heat your grill to high.
- 4Stir together the ancho powder, pasilla powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, chile de arbol, 2 tablespoons salt, black pepper and cayenne in a small bowl.
- 5Brush both sides of the breasts with the oil and season with salt. Rub the top side of each breast with a few tablespoons of the rub and place on the grill, rub side down. Grill until golden brown and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the breasts over and continue grilling until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- 6Remove the chicken from the grill and drizzle with the black pepper vinegar sauce. Tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve the slaw on the side.
- 7BLACK PEPPER VINEGAR SAUCE:.
- 8Combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. The sauce can be made 1 day in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sixteen-Spice-Rubbed Chicken Breast With Black Pepper Vinegar Sa
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1170.0
- Calories from Fat 844
- Total Fat 93.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 147.0 mg
- Sodium 846.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 52.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground pasilla chile powder
rice wine vinegar