Recipe by AngAustinBrody
This is a recipe from cookbook by La Leche League called Whole Foods From The Whole Family. I love these muffins! The muffin batter keeps in the fridge for six weeks so you use it as you need it.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 cups natural bran
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup honey or 1 cup molasses or 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups buttermilk or 4 cups yogurt
- 1 cup dates or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup chopped apple
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over 2 cups bran.
- In another bowl, sift flour, soda, salt, and spice.
- Add wheat germ and rest of bran; combine with wet bran.
- Stir until moist; add oil, honey, eggs, buttermilk and optional fruit.
- Pour into well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.