Recipe by Piano Girl
My kids love this recipe because it makes a lot of better that can be stored in the fridge for up to six weeks. (Ours never lasts that long!) It is super easy to have fresh muffins any time you want. I omit the raisins because my kids don't like them. I got this recipe out of a Company's Coming Muffins and More Cookbook by Jean Pare.
- 4 cups bran flakes
- 2 cups bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups buttermilk (you can make buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp vinegar to every one cup of milk. For this recipe it would)
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (optional)
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cereals and Boiling Water.
- Let stand.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugars together.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Mix in buttermilk.
- Add molasses if desired.
- Stir in cereal mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, soda, baking powder, salt and raisins.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add dry mixture to batter.
- Stir just to combine.
- Cover tightly and store in Refrigerator.
- It will keep for up to six weeks.
- TO BAKE: Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake in a 400F oven for about twenty minutes. (I find that my muffins are always done before that, so I set my timer for about 14-15 minutes. Other ovens may be different though.).