Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Made with common kitchen ingredients, this is Hamburger Helper on steroids! Even with the beans, this is a HUGE hit with kids. If you don't have Velveeta on hand, feel free to substitute shredded cheese or a jar of nacho cheese.
- 1 lb ground beef (or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 cups hot water (does not have to be boiling, just get hot water from the tap)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can frozen corn, thawed
- 2 -3 cups yellow corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, low fat pasteurized cheese product
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Brown ground beef and drain. Or if you are using chicken, cut it into dice-sized pieces and cook in a skillet over the stove top. For cooking chicken, sprinkle a little taco seasoning over the top for a great color and flavor.
- Return meat to a large, deep skillet. Add hot water, 1 cup milk, rice, taco seasoning, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir and heat on high to boiling. Once the mixture boils, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt Velveeta in a microwave-safe dish according to box directions. Add ½ cup milk and stir well. Skip this step if you just plan on using store-bought nacho cheese or shredded cheese.
- When skillet preparation is done, add black beans and corn. Cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve cheese and crushed chips over the skillet meal.