1/1 Photo of Six-Star Hearty Mex Meal
Made with common kitchen ingredients, this is Hamburger Helper on steroids! Even with the beans, this is a HUGE hit with kids. If you don't have Velveeta on hand, feel free to substitute shredded cheese or a jar of nacho cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 cups hot water (does not have to be boiling, just get hot water from the tap)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can frozen corn, thawed
- 2 -3 cups yellow corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 1Brown ground beef and drain. Or if you are using chicken, cut it into dice-sized pieces and cook in a skillet over the stove top. For cooking chicken, sprinkle a little taco seasoning over the top for a great color and flavor.
- 2Return meat to a large, deep skillet. Add hot water, 1 cup milk, rice, taco seasoning, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- 3Stir and heat on high to boiling. Once the mixture boils, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, melt Velveeta in a microwave-safe dish according to box directions. Add ½ cup milk and stir well. Skip this step if you just plan on using store-bought nacho cheese or shredded cheese.
- 5When skillet preparation is done, add black beans and corn. Cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- 6Serve cheese and crushed chips over the skillet meal.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Six-Star Hearty Mex Meal
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.6
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 67.3 mg
- Sodium 725.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 22.4 g