1/2 Photos of Six-Star Banana Cream Pie
1 hr 30 mins
Great for if you already have stale peanut butter cookies to get rid of (or you can follow this recipe to make your own). Also if you don't have the time to do the homemade crust you can crush up Nutter Butter cookies, just making sure to remove the inside icing. I got this idea from a restaurant that served something similar. The combination of banana cream filling, peanut butter cookies, and caramel is out of this world! This is good as a cool dessert on a hot summer day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Peanut butter crust
- 1/3 cup Crisco shortening
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup ground oats (may substitute graham cracker crumbs but oats are better)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (heaping measurement)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups cold milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 -3 bananas
- Cool Whip, as needed
- 1PEANUT BUTTER CRUST:.
- 2Beat shortening with sugar in a small bowl. Measure 1/8 cup of the beaten egg; you may discard the rest.
- 3Add in peanut butter and blend together with an electric hand mixer.
- 4Add the oats. (You may grind them in a food processor. These help to make the crust crunchier and less soggy.).
- 5Preheat oven to 325 degrees before dropping onto a cookie sheet.
- 6Make small balls and flatten each drop with the back of a metal spoon.
- 7Bake for 12 minutes and remove to an oven-safe wire cooling rack. Turn off the oven. Return the cookies (on the cooling rack) to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- 8Put baked cookies into a food processor and grind down to coarse crumbs. Melt butter in microwave. Mix with the crumbs in a small bowl.
- 9Using your fingers, press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch pie plate.
- 10PIE FILLING:.
- 11Mix first three ingredients (corn starch, sugar, salt) in a large bowl.
- 12Measure milk into a medium to large saucepan, and dissolve the dry mixture in it. Make sure NO lumps are left.
- 13Turn on burner to medium heat and stir continuously. When bubbles begin to burst at the surface and mixture has thickened, stop cooking.
- 14Add in butter and vanilla, stirring well.
- 15Transfer half the mixture back to your mixing bowl. Combine with eggs and stir vigorously. Transfer this back to the saucepan with the rest of the pudding and combine.
- 16Heat on medium to return the mixture to bubbling.
- 17Slice bananas and layer half over the pie crust. Add half the pudding mixture, then the rest of the banana slices, then the rest of the pudding mixture.
- 18Let cool. After about an hour, transfer to refrigerator.
- 19Once the pie filling has set, top with Cool Whip.
- 20CARAMEL DRIZZLE:.
- 21Combine sugar and water in a very small saucepan.
- 22Heat on high to boiling.
- 23Keep the solution boiling the entire time and stir. When the mixture has become medium to dark brown, add the whipping cream.
- 24Stir. Heat on high again to let the mixture become uniform. Let boil for at least 2 minutes.
- 25Put in a plastic bag and seal. Snip the corner to create a small opening (about the size of the tip of a grain of rice).
- 26Drizzle caramel over the Cool Whip atop your pie.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Six-Star Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 875.9
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 203.3 mg
- Sodium 258.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 78.1 g
- Protein 17.6 g