Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Gourmet Magazine's Diary of a Foodie. Cooking time includes cooling time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups old fashioned oats or 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and slowly beat until just combined well. Stir in rolled oats and raisins (dough will be stiff).
- Working in batches, drop dough by level tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet 1 minute and transfer to racks to cool completely.