Recipe by berry271
I made this for dinner tonight and was impressed. Simple but good. I found a few similar recipes posted, but not this exact one. I adapted this recipe (slightly) from a recipe found in the Shady Maple Employee Cookbook: Recipes from the Heart, a cookbook published by the employees of a restaurant I used to hostess at. The original recipe was submitted by Edna Horning. Serve with a green salad.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 large onion
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 (25 1/2 ounce) jars tomato sauce (use a good sauce as it will be the primary flavoring of the casserole)
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese or 8 slices farmer cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Meanwhile peel and dice the sweet potatoes, layer them on the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice the carrots, layer over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer the peas over the carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dice the onion and layer over the peas, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dice the celery and layer over the onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer the browned ground beef over the celery.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the entire casserole.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Top the casserole with the cheese slices and bake until golden brown, about an additional 15-20 minutes.