Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the kitchen of Shug Cupp Cleeton, Moberly MO
- 1 lb pork sausage, broken up
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup raw onion, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup raw carrot, sliced
- 16 ounces tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Partially cook sausage and drain off fat.
- Place sausage in 2 quart casserole and cover with layers of rice, potatoes, onions and carrots. Add tomatoes with juice. Add tomato juice until it comes up about half-way on the layers. Combine salt, pepper and sugar and sprinkle over top.
- COVER casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Add some water or tomato juice while cooking if casserole seems too dry.
This was delicious. My whole family enjoyed it, which is rare! The only change I made was V-8 juice instead of tomato juice. Plus I didn't have plain rice, so I used a box of Rice-a-Roni and pitched the seasoning packet. Yum! We'll definitely make this again!