Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this off another site but I've made it many times and it is SO versatile. Muy facil y bueno! (Very easy and good:)!! No its not authentic but who cares?
- 1 (15 ounce) can mexicorn
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) can chunk chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1⁄2-1 cup instant rice (I use 1/2 a cup)
- Open the cans of corn, chicken broth, chunk chicken, black beans, and diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- DO NOT DRAIN!
- Add rice and garlic to this as well.
- Pour everything into a large saucepan or stock pot.
- Simmer over medium heat until chicken is heated through& rice is cooked.
- (5 minutes for instant rice).
I found this recipe on another site and have been making it for about a year now. I do not add the rice. I also rinse the beans prior to adding them in order to reduce some of the sodium content. Other changes include: using frozen corn instead of canned (I just don't like canned.); omitting the garlic and adding cumin; sometimes adding sauteed onion and green pepper; using shredded grilled chicken breast instead of the canned chicken. I have also used tomatoes with jalapenos instead of green chilies. That was a bit warm for my taste. Therefore, I toned the heat down by stirring in a little cream. This soup is excellent topped with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Great easy and quick meal for busy days. I like it served with corn muffins.
Awesome! I added 1/2 a tsp of cumin and a tsp of red chili flakes, a can of "mexicorn", minced garlic and onion. I also used fresh, grilled chicken breasts. This was SO good, simple and filling! It's a bit too spicy for my DH but that's due my additions. Will make again and again, thanks!
Hey Ang! Thanks for the great recipe! I normally HATE when people rate a recipe that has been tweaked; your recipe is awesome, but I was out of some ingredients one day so had to substitute! I reduced the chix broth to one can (all I had,lol) I rinsed my black beans simply because I'm not a huge bean fan to begin with and I hate the cloudy can! I also subbed 1 cup salsa for the tomatoes and subbed the rice for I can of spicy fat free refried beans. It turned out very creamy as the refried beans seemed to melt and made the recipe quite rich and still lowfat! Thanks again for this awesome recipe! :)