1/3 Photos of Siu Mai
I was fortunate to take a dim sum class with world reknowned chef Joseph Poon in Philadelphia this morning. I was the only one who showed and had a 1 on 1 three hour lesson and quite a work out. I made 13 different types of dumplings, this was our favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl soak the mushrooms in 1/2 cup cold water 30 minutes or until softened.
- 2Drain and squeeze dry, reserving the soaking liquid.
- 3Cut off and discard the stems and mince the caps.
- 4In a processor, chop shrimp into small pieces.
- 5Add to pork and remaining ingredients.
- 6Add 1- 1 1/2 tsp mushroom water.
- 7Put the won ton wrappers on a work surface and lightly cover with a damp towel.
- 8Touch the tip of your left index finger to the tip of your thumb to form a small empty circle, or hole.
- 9Put one wrapper over the hole and put1 tablespoon filling in the center of the wrapper.
- 10Let the filled wrapper drop halfway through the hole, and gently squeeze it closed with your fingers.
- 11Put on a work surface and carefully pleat the excess wrapper, pressing down the filling.
- 12Put the dumpling upright on a plate.
- 13Continue filling the rest of the wrappers.
- 14Press 1 caper on top of each dumpling.
- 15Line a 12-inch bamboo steamer with a cheesecloth, or add oil to a plate.
- 16Place half the dumplings on the plate, 1/2-inch apart.
- 17Cover the steamer with its lid.
- 18Add water to a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok to a depth of 3/4-inch and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 19Carefully put the steamer in the wok, and steam on high heat 15 minutes or until the pork is no longer pink and just cooked.
- 20Be sure to check the water level from time to time and replenish, if necessary, with boiling water.
- 21Carefully remove the steamer from the wok.
- 22The dumplings should be served immediately.
- 23Continue steaming the remaining dumplings, replenishing the wok with more boiling water.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Siu Mai
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.3
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 126.8 mg
- Sodium 1218.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 25.2 g