Recipe by YummySmellsca
A mostly whole wheat version of my sister's favourite bread for French toast! She likes whole wheat bread and this is a good way to bridge the two.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 12 ounces evaporated 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon baking chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flours, potato flakes, nutmeg, sugar and yeast.
- Add the evaporated milk, egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla, then turn mixer to medium low speed and mix with the dough hook for 8 minutes.
- Add oil and salt, and continue to mix 7 minutes longer. (Alternatively you can do this by hand, but you will need a longer mix time).
- Cover bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a greased countertop and by hand, knead the raisins into the dough to evenly disperse them without breaking them up.
- Place back into the bowl, cover and allow to rest 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, tapioca starch and egg. Set aside.
- When dough has rested, punch down and roll out into a rectangle with the "short" ends the length of the loaf pan.
- Evenly spread the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the dough, leaving a 1" space on one short end.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon chips over the "far" 2/3 of the dough (this helps prevent them leaking through and sticking to the pan!).
- Roll up dough gently (the filling is quite liquidy), pinching the un-spiced end to seal.
- Place in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes, until almost doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake 1 hour, tenting the loaf lightly with aluminum foil for the final 25 minutes.