1/1 Photo of Sister's Sweet Cinnamon - Swirl Bread
A mostly whole wheat version of my sister's favourite bread for French toast! She likes whole wheat bread and this is a good way to bridge the two.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 12 ounces evaporated 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon baking chips
- 1In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flours, potato flakes, nutmeg, sugar and yeast.
- 2Add the evaporated milk, egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla, then turn mixer to medium low speed and mix with the dough hook for 8 minutes.
- 3Add oil and salt, and continue to mix 7 minutes longer. (Alternatively you can do this by hand, but you will need a longer mix time).
- 4Cover bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a greased countertop and by hand, knead the raisins into the dough to evenly disperse them without breaking them up.
- 6Place back into the bowl, cover and allow to rest 1 hour.
- 7Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, tapioca starch and egg. Set aside.
- 8When dough has rested, punch down and roll out into a rectangle with the "short" ends the length of the loaf pan.
- 9Evenly spread the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the dough, leaving a 1" space on one short end.
- 10Sprinkle the cinnamon chips over the "far" 2/3 of the dough (this helps prevent them leaking through and sticking to the pan!).
- 11Roll up dough gently (the filling is quite liquidy), pinching the un-spiced end to seal.
- 12Place in a greased loaf pan.
- 13Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes, until almost doubled.
- 14Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake 1 hour, tenting the loaf lightly with aluminum foil for the final 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sister's Sweet Cinnamon - Swirl Bread
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.6
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.2 mg
- Sodium 175.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated 2% milk
cinnamon baking chips