Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sissy makes these easy breads up to give as food gifts during the holidays.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 2 cups sifted self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottom of 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- Cream 1 cup sugar, shortening, and vanilla with electric mixer in mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and buttermilk; blend well.
- Add flour; blend well. Stir in lemon peel and apples.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Gently loosen sides of loaf. Turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.